ast year the Tottenham Ploughman RiverFest was a huge hit, with over 8,000 people attending to tuck into locally made cheese, drink local beer, dance along to folk music in the sunshine and importantly – learn simple things we can all do to make the polluted rivers of London healthier.
This year could see the party return – but the organisers are asking for your help to back the project and raise funds.
They have launched a crowdfunding campaign to help pay for everything from performers, staging, stalls, toilets and all that it takes to put a festival together.
The Tottenham Ploughman RiverFest is the only free festival in the east of the borough.
In addition to helping raise awareness of our waters, it celebrates the diversity and talent of Tottenham, acting as a platform to showcase the finest talent our vibrant, local community has to offer.
This year’s event will feature:
- Tottenham’s first ever beer festival, bringing together all six of local artisan breweries
- 25 to 30 food and drink stalls, all from Tottenham and the surrounding areas. Among them, cult local pizza makers Loven Presents, Wildes Cheese, Colombian Street Kitchen, Opera Ice Cream, community allotment Living Under One Sun, and much more
- 15 to 20 craft and art stalls with plenty for children, including kite making and a Drum Works workshop
- Live music from Pan Nation, Bollywood Brass Band, Drum Works, Folk Dance Remixed and Tottenham Community Choir
- Crayfish Bob returning with his all-you-can-eat crayfish boil
- A flower and produce show tent
Crowdfunding page on SpacehiveThe organisers have raised £2,000 from the council out of a budget of £18,000. They aim to raise at least £10,000 on crowdfunding website Spacehive, and are actively seeking sponsorship for the remaining £6,000.
Working with Thames Water, Thames 21, The London Water Keeper, The Environment Agency and Canal River Trust, the festival has the support of local MP David Lammy and Councillor Peray Ahmet who leads on environment issues in Haringey.
Words by Annem Hobson from So Wrong It’s Nom
Photos: Joe Culleton
Back the RiverFest over on Spacehive: